Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
This easy slow cooker chicken and dumplings recipe is just comfort food in a bowl!
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed, about 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup butter 1/2 of a stick
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold water*
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups mixed diced frozen vegetables thawed
- 1 16.3 ounce can refrigerated biscuits
- 1 cup heavy cream optional
- Sprinkle the diced onions in the bottom of a 6 quart or 7 quart slow cooker. Place the chicken breast cubes on top of the onions.
- Cut the butter into a few pieces, and place on top of the chicken.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and cold water until combined. Pour the mixture over the chicken.
- Pour the chicken broth into the crockpot, and sprinkle in the garlic, dried thyme, dried parsley, dried rosemary, black pepper, and salt. Stir the spices into the liquid.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours.
- Tear each biscuit into 4 quarters.
- Moving as quickly as you safely can (so as little heat escapes the slow cooker as possible), open the lid, stir in the thawed vegetables, and drop the biscuit pieces on top of the soup (spread out as evenly as possible).
- Cover and cook in HIGH for 1 – 1 1/2 hours (or until the biscuit dumplings are cooked through).
- Optional: If you like a creamier chicken and dumplings base, stir in a cup of heavy whipping cream at this point.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, and serve.
It’s very important to use cold water, because hot water will cause the flour to clump up.