Keto Zuppa Toscana Soup
- 1 pound spicy Italian ground sausage or use mild for a kid-friendly version
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ medium yellow onion chopped
- 4 medium cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pound radishes quartered
- 4 cups water
- 2 Tablespoon Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base
- 4 cups deveined and roughly chopped kale
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese divided
- ¼ cup real bacon bits for topping
- Freshly grated parmesan optional, for topping
- In a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat, saute the sausage crumbles until they’re cooked through and browned. Remove the sausage crumbles to a paper towel lined plate, but leave the grease in the pot.
- Add the butter. Once the butter has melted, add the onion and saute until translucent and starting to brown (about 4 to 5 minutes). Add in the garlic, stir, and saute until fragrant (about 30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Season with salt, black pepper, ground sage, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Add in the radish, water, and Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base. Stir. Turn the heat to high to bring to a boil. Once it’s reached a boil, lower the temperature so that the soup is just at a low boil. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the radishes are fork tender.
- Add in the kale and sausage crumbles, and cook until the kale is just wilted (about 3 - 5 minutes).
- Turn the heat off and stir in the heavy whipping cream and roughly ⅔ of the parmesan cheese.
- Serve hot and top with bacon bits and the additional grated parmesan.
It’s important to use freshly grated parmesan. Pre-grated cheese is typically coated in starch to stop it from sticking together, which affects the carb count.