Coconut Lime Chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts washed and dried
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika powder
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 green onions chopped, white and green parts separated
- 1 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 6 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 13.5- ounce can coconut cream
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 ½ Tablespoons sambal oelek
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally to create a total of 4 filets. Cover with saran wrap, and use a meat mallet to pound to an even thickness.
- Combine the cornstarch, salt, ground ginger, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric powder, black pepper, and paprika, and whisk together on a large plate.
- Dredge the chicken in the dry seasoning blend, and shake off any excess coating. Place on a dry plate or cutting board and set to the side.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter and coconut oil, swirl to coat the pan. Turn the heat down to medium, and add the chicken filets. Saute for 3 - 5 minutes per side, or until the chicken is golden and the internal temperature reads 165 F on a meat thermometer. Remove the chicken to a plate, but don’t wipe out the pan.
- If the pan is too dry, add a bit more coconut oil. Add the white portions of the green onions to the pan, and saute for 1 minute. Add the ginger and garlic, and saute for 30 seconds (or until aromatic). Reduce heat to low.
- Add the coconut cream, honey, sambal oelek, soy sauce, and dried basil to the pan. Stir until fully mixed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and lime juice. Add to the pan, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 1 - 2 minutes to thicken.
- Return the chicken to the pan to warm through.
- Garnish with the remaining green parts of the green onions, and with additional fresh herbs of choice.